Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I kissed the King - Cambodia Part IV

Bayon Temple

How does it feel to have your face carved on the stone?
Feel famous? Feel wanted?
and
Ever wonder, Bayon face towers depict the face of whom?

Bayon Temple was built around 1190 AD by Khmer King Jayavarman VII. It's a Buddhist temple with elements of Hindu cosmology.

The smiling image is thought by many to be a portrait of Khmer King Jayavarman VII himself.

There are 51 smaller towers surrounding Bayon, each with four faces of its own. Four faces, looking toward the cardinal directions, are carved on the sides of fifty-four standing towers at Bayon Temple.

Greeting the King 'nose to nose'.


*King and I moment*
He keeps on staring at me, smiling at me without a say. Deep in my heart, with that smile on his face i know he's happy to have me around, so do I.

My new tremendous abode in Cambodia.

A place where i spend most of my time, day dreaming.

In excitement I finally got the chance to touch his lips. He didn't reject but allow with a smile.

I kissed the King on his lips. Thank him for being kind to me.

Shy me, tried to hide after caught-red-handed kissing the King.


"God Put a Smile Upon Your Face"- Coldplay

Such serenely smiling faces are carved on stone towers throughout the Bayon Temple at Angkor Thom, literally meaning the “Great City.”

On reaching Bayon, I can assure that you will be amazed by the huge structures that resemble faces.

There is still much mystery associated with the Bayon, its exact function and symbolism, and this seems only appropriate for a monument whose signature is an enigmatically smiling face.







4 comments:

kenwooi said...

this place is so nice..! =)

kenwooi.com

HenRy LeE ® said...

wooottss u kissed the King lips... me want! lOL JK JK! later ur bf kill me... wakaka

Kelvin said...

Did u have any good luck after the King has 'bestowed' u with a kiss??

Malicious Mind said...

Dana : hi susan, just browsing through and saw your blog, woww you have been travelling! lucky you!

Follow by Email